Thursday, August 18, 2011

Lessons learned on bed rest

Well...I went back to work about a week and a half ago and I quickly could tell things weren't going so well. I was in a lot of pain and when I would get home I would be just about dead. Wednesday I went to the doctor for a check up with a lot of concern. The day before I was experiencing a lot of pain and couldn't walk. So what did I do? I wheeled myself around that day in a chair with wheels. Did I look ridiculous? Probably so, but at least I wasn't in any pain doing that. So Wednesday I was explaining all this to my doctor and since I'm 37 weeks the doctor put me on bed rest to help ensure me going a little further. We don't want Nate to come early and have to be in the NICU...so since Wednesday (and it's only Thursday!) I've been laying on the couch or bed. Here's something I've learned about myself in that short time...

This may come as a surprise to some of you but I'm a slight control freak. Yeah..like I said, this may surprise SOME of you, but not most. :) When you can't do much of anything for yourself, you have to rely on others. And for someone who wants to control everything I've had two choices to make. 1. Be that person who tries to control others or 2. Deal with the fact that others are trying to help and it's okay if it's not MY way. I've been working with #2....it hasn't been easy, but I've been so overwhelmed with all those who've stepped in to help us that I feel like the Lord is using this time of "rest" to teach me how to chill out. Chill out...something I don't do very well at all. But I'm learning...and for that I'm thankful.

2 comments:

  1. I am so thankful that you are resting and making sure that baby is safe and warm for a little while longer!

    I am a control freak too. I wouldn't know what to do after day 1 of bedrest! Enjoy the quiet time with your sweet Nate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. After three months of bedrest while preggers with Tucker I learned lots of stuff about myself....and it wasn't pretty!!! :) Praying for a safe delivery for you! God's got this!

    ReplyDelete