Thursday, June 2, 2011

Summer Reading

Confession time....I'm a reading teacher, but most nights I don't read. Ahhhh!!!! I know I should, but during the school year I'm absolutely exhausted! Most, if not all, of my reading is done in the summer. Right now I feel like I'm into five different books at one time. Oh wait. I am. :) Here are some of the books I'm reading/wanting to read right now. Some are related to teaching, parenting, and just for me growth. That's the usual category I stick to. Would I like to read fiction? Sure, but this is just where I tend to lead. So here goes...

1. Teaching books:
What I'm reading now... 6 +1 Writing Traits by Ruth Culham. I'm in the process of writing mini lessons for our third grade teachers to use to help bridge the gap from third grade to fourth grade where they will have to take a writing STAAR test. I love writing and even teaching it, but the struggle comes when there's just not enough time in the day. Alas...isn't that every teacher's problem???
What I want to read... Working with students: Discipline Strategies for the Classroom by: Ruby Payne. Ruby Payne has worked and done countless studies on students and families in poverty. She has a lot of practical ideas on how to implement strategies that will work for the children that I most come in contact with. I love going to workshops that teach classroom management, but most often they are unaware of the issues that we face in our particular area.



2. Parenting books:
What I'm reading now... The New Strong-Willed Child by Dr. James Dobson. Let me first say...after reading the first chapter I realized that Sam is NOT a strong willed child. We're just in the "terrible twos" stage, BUT what Dr. Dobson has to say is good advice for ANY type personality. Sam is more compliant at times, but like I said...right now we're in this Mr. Independant phase where we're trying Momma & Daddy. I'm learning daily that if I stay calm, he stays calm. MOST of the time this works....MOST emphasized.
What I want to read... Creative Correction by Lisa Whelchel and Bringing Up Boys by Dr. James Dobson. I'm always looking for new ways to discipline since I sometimes feel like Sam's thrown me a curve ball. And I heard it was really good. I also have no clue about boys since most of my cousins were girls. This boy business is new territory for this gal. :)



3. Just For Me books:
What I'm reading now... So Long, Insecurity by Beth Moore. This book has taken me forever to finish! Partly because the chapters are so long and I can barely keep my eyes open when I read it. The content however is wonderful and I'm really getting a lot out of it.
In Her Shoes Bible Study. This particular Bible Study is written by several different women and it's for minister's wives. It's all about finding where you fit into ministry as a person, NOT as a minister's wife. I would certainly recommend this Bible Study for all my friends who are married to ministers of any kind. Great study.
What I want to read.... I'd like to take a break from the "self help" books and read some chapter books that my kids have recommended this year. Chronicles of Narnia, Boxcar Children, A to Z Mysteries, etc. I think it's important for me to get excited about what they're reading and even enjoy some fiction. I'm hoping to start small and work my way to more "grown up" fiction reads.



If you know me at all...you know this list is pretty impressive. I'm not a big reader, but as my husband always says "Readers are Leaders". Gotta love him. :) What about you? What books are you into right now????

1 comment:

  1. Grown up fiction is overrated, I totally recommend the chronicles of narnia, they're enjoyable at any age.

    ReplyDelete