Friday, May 6, 2011

Random Thoughts on Motherhood


I posted this picture because every time I look at it, it makes me giggle. Jared did this one night while I was gone somewhere and showed it to me when I got home. He said Sam kept saying, "baby?" Sometimes, I need to look at pictures like this to remind myself to laugh along this ride called motherhood. Right now, as we speak, I. Look. Pitiful. I'm not just saying that, it's actually true. Sam's been sick with every kind of weirdness under the sun and on Wednesday I came down with what I thought was strep, but ended up being some kind of sinus ear drainage issue. My voice was completely gone by the end of the day Wednesday so I took off Thursday. I had planned on taking Thursday off anyway to stay home with Sam, then I got sick too. Thursday my voice was worse than Wednesday so I took Friday off, too. Good grief...we've got to get our family better. However, I think we're all antibiotic-ed up so we should be getting better. Anyway, as I'm typing this, I look down at my pitiful looking self. On my shirt (that I just put on this morning) is a collection of what appears to be snot, drool, peanut butter, something white which I can't account for, and other random food particles from my child. My hair has not been out of a pony tail in I can't tell you how long, and shaving my legs??? Geez...when was the last time that happened? In our sickness and funk, I have to remind myself that this journey is a privilege. Not everyone can experience motherhood, and just this week I've been reminded of how much of a blessing it is to be a mother. Are things perfect all the time? No. Am I super mom? Nowhere close to it. Is it easy? Crap No! It's the hardest job ever. (I always heard people say that, but it's totally true.) Do I get tired? Um...yes. In fact a sick child + a sick Momma = TOTAL EXHAUSTION! BUT...I wouldn't trade it for anything. There are little things throughout the day that Sam does that makes me laugh, and I know it's God's little way of saying "Elizabeth, chill out and enjoy the journey." Like when Sam falls down, we're teaching him that it's okay. But do you know what he says? "Woah!" It's the funniest thing! Or how Sam will be going on and on in these sentences that you have no clue what he's saying so you're just shaking your head and agreeing, then he says "I uv u!" Nothing beats that feeling in the world. These are things that may seem little to outsiders, but to this Momma it's a big deal. Those are the things I have to choose to focus on. Not the fact that I've been wearing the same black sweat pants for more than two days now, or that I tore my last contact lens and am forced to wear my old crooked glasses. Those things won't matter to Sam. In fact, Jared was asking me what my favorite present was from my mom and I couldn't remember any gifts I had gotten, sorry Mom. You see, those aren't the memories I have of my childhood. I remember always getting a cookie cake on my bday...which was my favorite, but other than that I don't remember things. I remember moments, memories, lessons. That's what it's all about. Not stuff, but moments in time.

1 comment:

  1. What a great post! Of course, my recent pregnancy was so rough and I often times felt exactly how you feel now. But in the end, it is always so worth it! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete