Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Favorite Memories

I try to teach writing and inspire students to enjoy writing...in whatever forms that may be. Poems, journaling, stories, etc. Does that mean I always get every kid to love writing??? Unfortunately, no it does not. This week's writing prompt was to write about their favorite 3rd grade memory. Some of the things mentioned were parties, going to plays, skating rinks, etc. BUT...the one that stuck at the most to me was the most heart breaking to me. You see I try to teach my students with things that happen to me in real life, so that 1. they see me as a person 2. get a glimpse into a life that they might not have otherwise 3. realize that in real life reading is more than applicable. I was giving an example of how to NOT write a how to story. I explained that we had just bought a church cookbook and that I wanted to bake my favorite dessert....buttermilk pie. I explained how when following directions and giving directions you have to be very specific. I bragged about how I followed directions so well until the end. The recipe said to "cook until done". I went on and on about how I don't cook, and I had never baked a buttermilk pie before so I didn't know what "done" looked like. I went on and on about how I met a lady who was called the pie lady and she made the best buttermilk pies and how I just wanted to make a pie like hers. I went on and on about how I had to call my mom and ask how I'm supposed to know when it's done. My point was to show how writing a how to paper is important, and to be specific with your directions is important. That was it. Point done, right?


That was what one of my students wrote for her favorite 3rd grade memory. My buttermilk pie story. Really??? Of all the fun things we had done, that was her favorite. She went on to write about how she had gone home and told her mom about my buttermilk pie story and how she had wanted to try some. Her mom bought her a buttermilk pie and she loved it too. That was her favorite memory. I don't know if the end of the story is true, but the fact that she wrote about this being her favorite memory saddened me. I guess you never really know what kids are dealing with and what you say or do that they'll remember or what will matter to them the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment