Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Valentine's Day Highlights

Jared had this fantastic idea one day last week that he wanted to pass out Valentine's to all of our church members on Sunday during the Sunday School hour. In all honesty, I'm confessing my not so positive attitude at first. On Saturday, we signed 100 valentines and stuffed them with candy. Not exactly what I wanted to do, BUT the Lord quickly got my attitude in check. While I was signing valentines, Jared and Sam (together) were stuffing each valentine with a candy. Now, if you don't know my 19 month old you may think that's so sweet. But you fail to realize the teachable moment in this one afternoon. You see, my son loves to eat. I don't mean he's a good eater. I mean the kid wakes up in the morning saying "snack" and walks around the house all day saying "snack". HE.LOVES.FOOD. Now...for him to give these snacks away without eating them was a big deal. The even bigger deal came the next day. Sam walked around Sunday morning handing out those valentines to everyone he saw. He knew what he was giving away at this point and didn't budge not once. If he saw someone new walk in the door, he dug in his bag to give them a valentine. I couldn't help but be a proud Momma. Not because this was my idea, because it was my giving husband's idea, but because of the fact that at the young age of 19 months, Sam was already learning about sacrifice and giving. How I regretted that my attitude was not as cheerful as Sam's was at first. The sacrifice may be small but to a toddler who loves food giving it away without having a little bitty sample is unfathomable. But what a great lesson the Lord taught us all. Lord, continue to give us teachable moments with Sam and with myself.

1 comment:

  1. So sweet Liz! I can't believe he is already 19 months old!

    ReplyDelete