Monday, February 28, 2011

Things You Should NEVER Say to a Pregnant Woman

1. I can tell you're having a girl...I can tell in your face. (First off, we don't even know if we're having a girl. Secondly, this is just your polite, which isn't even polite, way of saying my face has gotten fat).

2. Are you sure there's only one in there?

3. How far along are you? (added with a bewildered look on their face)

4. You're really starting to show (which means you're really packing on the pounds now!)

5. You shouldn't eat that (usually when I want to drink the pickle juice or something insane like that)

Now let me confess something....were any of these comments made from my dear family or friends that may be one thing. I would probably slap them in the face because my pregnancy hormones get me all "woman's rights, I'll kick you in the face like" BUT these are people who have no idea what my life is like or who I am as a person. Really. You want to talk to me about a deep subject like how I am carrying my child???? Do you want me to make you feel insecure about something so amazingly important as CARRYING A LIFE!!!!! I mean really. Come on.

Okay, I'm over it now. I just wanted to let those of you out there who say these awful things to people that your words have impact. SO....even though you make think my face has gotten way chubbier (I agree) or that I look like I'm going to deliver twins next month, please keep your opinions to yourself, okay? Thanks.

4 comments:

  1. Oh yes...I've been the recepient of a few of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Elizabeth. If it makes you feel any better, I had a lady ask me the other day when I was due. I told her "No, honey...I'm not pregnant, just fat.I had my baby 2 years ago." People can be so tactless, thoughtless, and utterly tacky. Frankly, they can just be down right jerks sometimes. VENT anytime, dear. It is cleansing for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth, I wish I had looked as good as you do with any of my pregnancies. In my opinion, you can barely tell you are pregnant, except by the glow in your face and the sparkle in your eyes! People who say things like that I think sometimes they don't realize how hurtful a simple statement can be. I hope they don't intend to be hurtful!! When someone says something like that to you, just smile and thank them, because those who know you know how beautiful you are inside and out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, people can be sooo stooopid and insensitive! I was also asked if pg 2yrs after Sarah was born.

    I have a bad habit of asking when strangers are due or how their pg has been going b/c it's such a blessing, but maybe I need to check myself even with those "?"s.

    Oh, and pickle juice? DRINK IT! Your body may be craving the potassium! HA!
    Love ya!
    LisaM.

    ReplyDelete