Sunday, November 22, 2009

Give Thanks In All Circumstances

This morning in church, we looked at 1 Thess. 5:18, where Paul says, "Give thanks in al circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." Here, basically, is the outline of my sermon:

Who?- "Brothers," or Christians. This message was for all believers, without exception.

What?- "Give thanks" I asked what everyone was thankful for, and got the usual and expected answers- family, job, home, Jesus, etc. Wrote them all down on a whiteboard I had up on the platform.

When/Where?- "In all circumstances" Here's where it starts getting tricky. When I asked what everyone was thankful for, nobody said sickness, bankruptcy, marital problems, rebellious kids, cancer, or poverty, and yet, God's command, through Paul, is to give thanks in all circumstances. Hmm...

Why?- "Because this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" In other words- "Because God says so." Our natural reaction in difficult times is to get angry, upset, disappointed, envious of other people's situations. These reactions are not of the spirit (See Galatians 5) We must choose to ignore our "natural reactions" and respond like God wants us to. We must choose to be thankful. Example: When the results come back, and the doctor says it's cancer- I know that God is my Father, and He's in control of all things, and for that I choose to be thankful. When the bills total more than I have in my bank account- God provides food for the birds and dresses the flowers of the field. I know He'll provide for me, and for that I choose to be thankful.

How?- By remembering that God works all things out for our good, and for His purposes (Romans 8:28). He is in control of all things, and I belong to Him. With His help, I can always find something to be thankful for, and I should, because it is His will for me to live a life of thanksgiving.

We are ridiculously blessed, and really should take time every day to thank God. Not just on a Thursday in November before we stuff our faces, but every single day. Be blessed and be a blessing this week.

-Jared

No comments:

Post a Comment