Thursday, March 29, 2012

Child Like Faith

  "Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it."

The Lord reminded me of this truth in such a neat conversation the other day.  While driving to church, Sam and I had our usual conversation about the things we saw on the way there. "Did you see those cows?  What are they doing?  Who made those cows?" etc.  We started talking about the trees and how God made it rain that day so that the trees and grass and flowers would grow.  I told him that trees needed the sun and water to grow.  His simple reply was "Oh.  Okay."  

That was it.  There was not a hint of hesitation in his breath.  In his mind trees will always need water and sun not because a book told him but because his momma told him. If I said trees need candy to grow...he would have believed me.

This has been the case with several lessons so far.  I've talked about something and Sam has replied "Oh. Okay."  Never once does he ever say, "I don't think so, momma." or "Are you sure about that?" He believes with his entire heart, his whole being.


These recent conversations have reminded me of two things:
1.  That's how I'm supposed to trust God.  With total, complete, unwavering, unquestioned faith.  Because I know God loves me (like Sam knows we love him) and he wants the best for me, I can trust, without fear, that what God says is Truth.  Even if it doesn't make sense or it seems crazy, I should be able to say, "Oh. Okay, God."  I love how God is already using Sam to teach me more about Him.


2.  There is a huge responsibility that comes with this truth.  Because Sam trusts us with reckless abandonment, it's our job as parents to show him The Way.  I can't let someone do that for me.  I can't rely on his Sunday School teachers or a Christian dvd.  It's got to be us leading him in the right direction, because through his little eyes we're always going to lead him the right way.  We're momma and daddy.  And right now momma and daddy know best.  I know he won't always feel this way, but I'm praying that we'll continue to lead both our boys in the ways of the Lord.


I'm so thankful for moments like these where God completely speaks truth to me through one of my boys.  It's so amazing to think that as much as I love them...and I wish there were a bigger word than LOVE....God loves me WAY more than that!  And it's not just me.  It's you, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment