Friday, March 18, 2011

One of those days....

Today was one of those days where I felt like I could be a stay at home mom if it were possible. Sam and I had a fabulous day. We read every board book he has, sword fought, grocery shopped, laundry, and just had an all around great day. I even told Jared today that if every day were like this I would rock as a stay at home mom...but everyday is NOT like today. Take yesterday for example. We went to the zoo and had a blast. About an hour into the trip Sam got really fussy because he needed a nap and I was getting tired fast. Unfortunately, it wasn't up to us when we got to leave so we drug our cranky heels for several more hours until we finally hit the road. Once in the car Sam still had not had a nap and was cranky the entire 2 hours home. 2 HOURS people. One of us was going to get hurt if we didn't get out of the car soon. That being in my mind still on days like yesterday, I would go insane if I stayed at home with him. Thankfully, I get the best of both worlds. I'm thankful that I can provide for my family and get to stay home several times throughout the year. Thanksgiving break, Christmas break, Spring break, and yes the blissful summer break too. I may not get to be the homeroom mom bringing the cookies to the party, but I will be the crazy mom who stays up past her kids bedtime to bake the cookies that will get sent to school for the party. In a perfect world I could stay at home and make money/insurance but we all know this world isn't perfect. For now, I'll take my little slice of heaven aka SAHM (stay at home mom) for the time I'm given. You know why? Because today is Friday which means our spring break fun is quickly coming to an end. But in just a few more weeks summer will be here and we will be partying it up at the lake....can't wait!



P.S. Please don't read this post and reply with a rant about your opinions about working mothers or SAHM. I'm just simply writing about how great of a day today was and how I wish it could be like this all the time, but I am very aware of the difficulties when things aren't perfect. I applaud both groups of mothers and all in between.

2 comments:

  1. As a part time SAHM, I understand your feelings completely. There are days with her that I think, "OH...how dreamy this is...I am a domestic goddess and she is so happy and dinner is on the table and I am such a good mama. I should stay home all the time." And then...there are days when I want to lend her out to friends I run into at Wal-Mart...take this week for example. I've been home with her everyday and we've had fun, but it is time TO GO back to work and for her to GO BACK to play with her buddies at day school. :) Everyone does what is best for their family and I applaud your honesty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Elizabeth! I believe God gives us seasons...seasons for everything. I am blessed to have been able to experience a bunch of different seasons with my kids. Embrace each one...they all have their highs and lows. I'm so glad you realize all this at such an early stage in your motherhood! You're amazing! Love you!

    ReplyDelete