Sunday, August 1, 2010

Tweens

Yesterday I spent the day shopping with my mom. I had decided to call her up and on a whim drive to Beaumont and go shopping with her. We're taking our final family pictures at the lake and I wanted to find a white shirt. Yes, a white shirt. 6 hours later, I came home with a white shirt for Sam and a white shirt for Jared, but no white shirt for me. After a lot of walking around I decided that I think I'm in this awkward stage right now. I'm not a teenager anymore (and I don't want to be one of those people who still tries to dress like one...you know them), but I'm not 50 either (not that 50 is bad, I'm just not there yet). They have stores for "tweens"....girls that are not kids but not quite ready for teenager clothes. Why don't they have that for twenty somethings? My friend Jessica said they do...it's called the "misses" section. But even there I couldn't find anything I like. I was frustrated and the whole way home I kept thinking how I'm leaving a phase of my life behind me. I am no longer young and in my twenties...footloose and fancy free. I'm 25, married, and about to have a 1 year old. Those are two different seasons of life. Although a part of me was kinda sad at this realization, a part of me was really happy. I love my life. I may not be able to be that spontaneous anymore, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I love Jared and Sam and the life that we have together. We have great families and friends and our life seems so much more rich. Not literally....who has a kid for the money? Really? Maybe I should say fulfilling. That sounds better. When I think back on days of dating guys and shopping and going out on the town it just seems so pointless. Not that I was a party girl at all, but it just seems like a waste of time. Even though sometimes I feel like I'm an old lady now...if you knew the doctors I've been to you'd know how old I feel....I'm thankful for the season of life that I'm in.

And as much as it pains me to say this: I would even be okay with a minivan. Okay...well...maybe a suburban or something. Baby steps...

3 comments:

  1. Never underestimate the power of the mini-van momma! Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try being 33, married, and with a 17 month old...and I know exactly how you feel about the clothes shopping experience. When I go to a department store, I feel like shouting, "Where is the section for women who want to look professional, yet not too far on the hoochie mama side, but yet not too far on the Aunt Bea side either? HUH???" Oh, and I have a solution for my professional clothing problem this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am right there with you on the clothes! It is so hard to find something. Doug gets frustrated because I say I want new clothes and then go to get something and come home with nothing. Boys just don't understand.

    ReplyDelete