Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Godly Teacher

Even though I moan and groan worse than anyone when the alarm goes off in the morning, and I have a million things that I want to do in my classroom...I'm very excited about school starting. I'm ready for Sam to meet friends to play with while I'm working and I'm thankful for the opportunities we have because I work. With that being said, my heart is always heavy at the beginning of each year. This year, even more so. It's a new year, new classroom, new curriculum, new partner, and new children coming through my door. We had a staff development today that focused on children with poverty, which is something that I face at my school. One of the things he said struck a cord in me and my heart's been broken ever since. He spoke a lot about the "voice" you use with your students. Parent (yelling/telling) voice, Child (whining) voice, and Adult (asking) voice. When we yell at students they will either yell back (take the role of parent) or whine (take the role of child). Instead we ought to take the adult voice which speaks calmly to a child and helps them problem solve instead of telling them what to do. This goes back to something Jared mentioned in church about not wanting to do something just because someone else "said so". That's a whole other blog, but he also said that we need to teach children how to vocalize their feelings. Instead of saying "that sucks" about getting homework, encourage children to explain what that means. Do they have baseball practice, are they mad, do they not have time? Are they taking care of siblings when they get home? Do they even have a pencil at home?

Those two questions left this awful feeling inside me. Why? Because my only job growing up was to not leave empty milk glasses in my room and to not leave gum in my pants before they went in the wash. And if I needed school supplies I knew exactly where to find them....in my dad's bathroom cabinet (it's a really big cabinet) or in the washroom cabinet. There I would find pencils, pens, notebook paper, and folders of all colors that my dad had bought on sale that we would eventually need at some point throughout the year or the next year. Even if there weren't pencils there, I could always look in a drawer in the kitchen or something.

Not having basic necessities was never an issue or concern in my life....ever. Since becoming an adult (scary, I know), wife, teacher, and mother I have since learned that my childhood was extremely blessed. I always knew this, but have been getting gentle reminders about this lately. It is unfathomable to me how someone could not find a pencil at home! I've had students tell me that's why they didn't do their homework! SERIOUSLY! A part of me wants to say, you might as well tell me "your dog ate your homework", but the other part of me...the part that listens to the gentle, quiet voice of the Holy Spirit speaking to me, knows that unfortunately that may be true.

My prayer this year is that God would open my eyes to the needs of my students, both in my class and around me. And that I would have compassion for these children and their families. And that when I see a need, I would fill it. Not just pray for them, but try and meet their needs...physical, spiritual, emotional...whatever.

I pray that you (whoever you are) begin to pray for teachers that are beginning their school year. Pray that they would love their students like Jesus. And that they would have compassion and love towards all who they come in contact with. No matter what the state of the educational system is in, my heart is for kids. No test, budget cut, or bond issue can change that.

3 comments:

  1. Hey! I blogged about compassion today too! Guess it's theme day! Praying for you as you start a new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz, I know you are an amazing teacher and your students are so very lucky to have you. It is rare to find a teacher as caring as you are. Know that I will be praying for you and your class, as well as all the other teachers and students. Which grade do you teach & at which school? You are such a compassionate person, how could you be concerned about not being so for a student. Watching you with any of the kids at church, no matter what grade you teach, you have very fortunate students. Good luck this year and I will certainly be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sent you a facebook message and saw your blog address and had to check it out...we have one too! Oh Elizabeth, I sit here with tears streaming down my face. Do you know how long I've been praying about this coming year? My only request to the Lord was give my precious "Gift" a Godly teacher. He has answered me in abundance! I will be lifting you up daily! You are a true gem!!! Ashleigh

    ReplyDelete