Wednesday, January 13, 2010

What are you DOing???

Here lately I've been feeling quite convicted about what my role (or lack thereof) is in the Kingdom of God. I feel like I do a lot of stuff at church, but I'm not really making an intentional effort to advance the Kingdom of God. Several friends of mine have been feeling the same way. I feel like a lot of times all I do is fill a spot at church. Someone needs help with the kids, I'll do it. We need a children's church program...I'll do it. We should start a Bible study...I'll do it. I can easily fill my schedule with the best of 'em, but is what I'm doing actually doing anything at all? That's where my mind has been the last few weeks. I've been really thinking a lot about the life I live. This past Sunday Jared talked about how there's more to a life then we get married, have kids, retire, and die. God wants us to live a life of adventure. I want that too! I don't want a life where I wake up, go to work, come home, go to bed, wake up, go to work, come home, go to bed....and on and on and on. BORING!!! I want a life that has meaning, has purpose. When I wake up and go to work, did I do something? Do I show Jesus to someone? When I come home...am I showing Jesus to Sam and Jared? When I go to church, am I sharing Jesus? When I do my everyday things, am I sharing the love of Jesus? I want to make a difference for God, even when it comes to the everyday things that I do. Some of the things I'm considering doing:
Breast Cancer Awareness 5k
Starting a Weekly Devotion for teachers
Give up something I have for the greater needs of others

I'm not saying that these things won't require more attention or time, but it's not that that bothers me. It's the lack of motivation to make a difference. There are people around me who are hurting and who need Jesus. Am I willing to do more to reach them?

I don't really know if any of this makes sense to whoever is reading this. Quite frankly I'm still working things out in my own mind, but I wanted to throw it out there for some accountability and maybe encourage you to do somethings too!

For now...DO SOMETHING!
~Elizabeth

1 comment:

  1. i know of the perfect place for your more adventurous side. you could come here... everyday seems like an adventure :) a trip you would never forget!

    ReplyDelete