Monday, August 3, 2009

Thankful

This weekend was one of those that really helped me realize just how blessed I am. Saturday, Liz had her fourth and final shower, this one at Peachtree. Uh...to say we got a lot of stuff would be an understatement, but- we got a lot of stuff. Clothes, gadgets, gift cards- lots and lots. We were talking afterward about how great it is to be part of a church family. It really is like family. We love and take care of each other- if you're reading this and don't have a church family, go find one. Right now. Life is just so much better with them around.

Yesterday, church was good. I preached fom Philippians 2, and talked about how Jesus chose to step down from heaven into this mess that we live in because he saw something down here worth saving. It's like when you were in high school, and there was the kid who threw away his retainer at lunch. Then while everybody else was in class, he's digging through bags of garbage, trying to find his retainer. Why? Because there's something valuable in there that's worth saving. And that's what Jesus did for us. (I literally woke up in the middle of the night last week when that illustration popped into my head. I was sound asleep, then BOOM. I woke up and that was on my mind. Thanks, Lord.)

Then, last night after church, we went to the home of Justin and Leslie Williams- formerly Leslie Rector, but they got married last weekend. (See previous post) We ate hot dogs and played Rock Band until midnight. It was just a fun weekend. Maybe I'm still "young and dumb," but I think sometimes people get too caught up in life. What I mean is, I think we make too much of the little inconveniences in life and forget to enjoy it sometimes. Most of the times I get mad or annoyed, it's over little stuff. And when I'm wasting my time being in a bad mood, I miss all the blessings God's sending my way. My wife, my home, my friends, the joy of the Lord, etc. I know it's Monday, but I'm having one of those days where I'm just thankful and seeing things with the proper perspective. Let the little things stay little, and enjoy the important things while you can.

Kiss your spouse and play a game today,
-Jared

No comments:

Post a Comment