Friday, August 21, 2009

Our new little man! :)

I've wanted to update the blog for a while now, but it's just been crazy around here these days! We're adjusting to life with a baby and Jared is getting back to work, so our life is starting to get on a schedule of somesort. First off...I have to brag, then I'll get to the heart of all of this motherhood stuff (without bursting into tears of emotion hopefully). Our little man came into this world weighing a whopping 9 lbs. 13 oz! Boy am I glad we chose the c-section or what!? By the time we left the hospital he dropped to 9 lbs. even, but his jaundice levels were elevated. We had to get his heel pricked on Monday to see if his levels were going up or down and unfortunately they had gone up from a 13 to a 16. Two days later we had to go to Beaumont for a weight check with the pediatrician and he had gone back up to 9 lbs. 12 oz. (woo hoo!), but his jaundice levels had gone up again. This time they sent us home with a billi blanket for Sam to sleep on and pretty much spend most of his days on. It is supposed to get some of that jaundice out (you'll have to ask Jared all about the info...he's been googling A LOT since Sam's arrival home). As of yesterday, when we had to get his heel pricked for the 4th time, it was starting to go down. Thank you Lord! Sam is doing great...he is such a good baby. He's a good sleeper and usually wakes up every 4 hours to eat. And boy can he eat! We feel so very blessed to have such an amazing gift from the Lord.

Yesterday, Jared went to his weekly "staff" meeting at the local Mexican food restaurant and Sam and I just got to spend some mommy son time together. I had some praise and worship music playing and I just sat there with my little man and sang to him. There was this song that came on and I couldn't remember the title to tell Jared, but when it came on I burst into tears holding my little boy in my arms. The basic message was if I could tell you anything it would be to never lose hope in the Lord b/c He's got great plans for you. It was by a group called Streetside Prophets maybe? If you know what song it is please let me know b/c it's been driving me crazy! I never knew it was possible to love someone so much so quickly. Even in the craziness of getting back into the swing of real life when bodily fluids leak and spray, I still love our little man. I can't help feeling so undeserving of such an amazing gift. I find myself asking God, "What could I have possibly done that was good enough for you to give him to me?" The answer is nothing. God is so good. I am full of emotions of joy and gratitude all at the same time. I never quite expected all of that so soon. I knew I would love Sam and have prayed for him since we found out we were pregnant, but now that he's here its....just amazing. That sounds so cliche but its the only word that can quite describe motherhood. We are so blessed with such a wonderful little family. Sam is starting to smile...in his sleep...but it is sooo cute! I can't wait to grow with him. As he learns, Jared and I are learning too. Its a great adventure that's for sure. I just wanted to update everyone on Sam's homecoming. He's doing great. We're loving him and I think he's loving us too! Please keep us in your prayers as we continue to get adjusted. Jared goes back to work Sunday officially and it will be just Sam and I at home until I go back to school.
On another note, in all the emotions I've been feeling joy and gratitude overwhelms me because of three very special people. Jessica, Leslie, and Alexa. You have given me a peace about staying home and not starting school that cannot be thanked enough. I can't even begin to imagine all the things you're doing at school to help make the transition easiest for my students. There are things you're doing that I don't even know about. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! God has certainly blessed me with amazing friends. He is soooo good.

~Elizabeth

3 comments:

  1. So glad to hear this great report. Those heel pricks are as painful for mom and dad as they are for the baby I think! Glad he's doing better.

    Enjoy these moments! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the billi blanket! Colin had to sleep in that for a few days when we got home too. Congrats! Sam is precious and I know you guys are just so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when we called Sarah our glow-worm :) Remember, bilirubin binds to the protein he is eating. He is gaining weight. It's all good :)
    LisaM

    ReplyDelete