Friday, June 5, 2009

Book Review!

The Principle of the Path by Andy Stanley

(Full disclosure: I am a huge fan of Andy Stanley. Listen to him weekly, read him often, so this review may be a little biased...sorry.)
The premise of the book is this: Direction, not intention, determines destination. In other words, it doesn't matter where you want to be, where you'd rather be, or where you hoped you'd be- you are where you are because of the paths you have chosen. It's really a simple idea, but one that we don't pay attention to very much. For example- I'd like to weigh about 20 pounds less than I do. I know what it would take to get there, and I know what it has taken for me to get as pudgy as I am. But for some reason, I don't take the steps necessary to get where I want to be.

The book is easy to read, and for the most part it seems like common sense in written form. It's a good book, I highly recommend it, and, you should read it yourself before buying it as a gift for your friend/cousin/spouse/etc. (There were several times I thought of different friends and family members- "Man, _______ should really read this!")

In other news: I got some new golf clubs. I haven't hit a driver off the teebox in years, because my driver was so old, and I couldn't hit it well. It was a Big Bertha, and I'm sure that when I got it, it was a great club (I think Dad gave it to me in high school), but I've never hit it well, so I never used it. Last week, Paul was at Games People Play in Beaumont and bought a Nike driver and 5 wood for $100. (a.k.a.-very inexpensive) He tried them out Saturday and didn't like them, so I offered to buy them from him. We went to the range Wednesday, and I liked them, so I bought them. Yesterday evening, we went and played Rayburn Country, and I was very pleased with my purchase. I understand that most of you who read this blog won't care about my new golf clubs, but trust me- it's all very exciting.
Life is good. Enjoy your day.
-Jared

1 comment:

  1. ok the math post you left on my blog i was just thinking about those cheesy church signs the other day. i was looking through some photos on the computer, because i was missing stuff from texas, and i ran across a photo of a church sign! funny stuff. btw i think God answers knee-mail.

    ReplyDelete