Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Thankfulness

In light of all the recent "misfortunes" of our home, I feel the need to do some confessing. Bear with me, please. Yesterday, as I was getting ready for our bible study, I ran across some things that were rather convicting, which is exciting. I've been brought up to know that Satan doesn't bother you if you're no competition for him. If you're not working for the Kingdom, then why would he bother you? Well, its good to know that the Lord is working and so is Satan. Well, I was reading about how Satan is very sneaky and deceptive. Of course we as Christian people wouldn't allow clear lies into our lives, Satan has to find ways to sneak lies into our lives. I became convicted of some of the things that I allow Satan to sneak in...for example TV. I love TV! Ever since I was a little girl, I would be mesmorized by it....tuning the rest of the world out. The love between the two of us began at a very young age and has carried me through. So I realized, through the conviction of the Holy Spirit, that I allow these shows to bring worldly issues that clearly oppose the Truth into my home, and into my life. OUCH! As I began to process this with the Lord, I was reading about a friend who was convicted of the same thing. She was sooo bummed that she couldn't watch her shows anymore, then the leader of the bible study talked about that true conviction isn't bummed or sad. It is resolved. When we get rid of the things that take the place of the Lord, we make room for Him to do work. I shouldn't be sad about my show...that all seems really silly now. I'm excited that the things I get rid of can make room for what the Lord wants to do.When I went to bible study, the girls and I were talking about being thankful. Bridgette had said she ran into this guy in Brookshire Brothers who was so proud about working there for 5 years. He was so excited he told her about it! A perfect stranger. We were talking about how, if that would have been us, we would have been bummed to still be in that job that long, and looking at what everyone else had gotten in life. But he was so thankful for where he was, and what he had accomplished. Throughout the night, we kept bringing that guy up... "Thankful for your Brookshire Brothers" is what we would say. This morning when I was driving to school, I still kept thinking about that..."Thankful for my Brookshire Brothers". I was convicted, AGAIN, about being thankful. I may never have the house of my dreams, but I certainly have a lot more than a lot of people. Who cares if my living room floor is now just concrete? Praise God I have a home. Praise God we have home owners insurance, friends who can tell us what to do when stuff like this happens, and people who will spend all day pulling carpet up. I'm realizing that I need to be more "thankful for my brookshire brothers". I'm so thankful for friends who help me realize all the blessings in my life. I clearly need reminders of this or Satan will have me looking at everything that is going wrong.So this post is simply called thankfulness. I'm thankful that God still convicts and moves in my life...even when I am quite frankly a stubborn mule at times. I want to encourage you to find something that you're thankful for...even in the midst of wet carpets and TAKS tests and all the other craziness of the world. Feel free to write what you're thankful for too! I'd love to hear about it.
~Elizabeth

2 comments:

  1. Thankful for meeting you...about 13 or so years ago!
    Love you Elizabeth...thanks for sharing your heart...I so relate!

    Gina

    ReplyDelete