Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My sick patient...

Having a sick child is the worst! Especially when they're babies and they can't tell you exactly what hurts. We have been very blessed with a healthy boy. Besides his momma's allergies, he's never been sick. In the 10 months of his life, we've never had to go to the dr. before our three month checkups....until today. Sam has been feeling awful, and I mean awful! So awful that for three days straight all he did was eat, sleep, and wail...yes I said wail. Not cry, sob, or wimper. WAIL! That's how I knew something was up. Normally when his allergies start acting up, he's kinda fussy and you can see it in his eyes that he doesn't feel good, but this was different. He wasn't sleeping like he normally does, his nose was a drippy faucet, and he had the most heart breaking cough you've ever heard. So today we went to the dr. and found out that Sam has the croup and ear inflammation or "swimmer's ear". I was relieved to know that I wasn't being overly dramatic as a new mother and that we've finally got LOTS of medicine to make him feel better. We haven't been to swim lessons the past two days, but the dr. said it would be okay for us to go as long as we used the drops he gave us. Hopefully he'll start to get back to his old self soon.

It's the most heart breaking thing I've ever experienced. To know that something's wrong, but not know what it is or what to do to fix it. I imagine that this is somewhat how God feels when something's wrong with us. He wants to fix it, He wants to make us feel better, but we do things our own way. There were times I would try and console Sam and he was just wail even louder. Sometimes I feel like I do the same with God. I wail and cry out and when God tries to help, I just cry even louder b/c it's just not what I want. How I pray that my heart would want what God wants. That when God tries to comfort me that I would rest in His care. Trust in His promises. After all, He is the Great Physician. He can heal all wounds. If we just let Him.

~Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment