Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Little Things in Life

So today is my first baby shower...I know. I'm really excited. Kinda nervous too. This weekend I went shopping with my mom and bought a new top to wear to the shower. When I got home, I showed Jared all of my jewels that I bought over the weekend shopping trip (he was so excited he could barely contain himself). Anyway, after showing him I realized that my new shirt had a tiny hole in the back. Uggg! Jared was going to Beaumont yesterday, so I asked if he would take my shirt back and exchange it for me. In the event that they didn't have my size I asked if he would pick me out a new shirt. The only rule was it had to be short sleeves (school rules) and somewhat dressy. Now, I know what you're thinking. What in the world is she thinking? Who can send their husband to find a top for them? Well ladies...I can! He did a great job. I know, I know. I'm the luckiest lady in the world. I have the best husband ever. You may argue, but he is. After much deliberation with the saleswoman and his friend Paul, the winner was picked out. It was a springy yellow top with somewhat puffy sleeves. Way cute, just my style. Bright, but not too bright. Sassy, but not too sassy. Cute, but not too cute.

I'm wearing it today with my white capris. Very summery I know. Jared already told me this morning how cute I looked. Again, I repeat...best husband ever! When my students came in this morning, I'm checking my emails getting everything ready and one of my students says, "Mrs. Hollier, you look just like the sunshine!" How cute is that! Its sweet when a Kindergartener says that, but when it comes out of a 3rd graders mouth, it means so much more. Most of the time, I'm telling them to be kind and treat people the way they want to be treated, and someone says something as sweet as that. It just made my day even better. Its good to see that parents are teaching their kids manners and that their sweet spirits shine through in a world that is full of darkness at times.

Just that one little kind word, from a student who had no idea the impact his thoughtfulness had on me, meant the world. How powerful our words are. We have the power to tear down or build up. Which one will you do with your words today? I know this student has definitely challenged me to choose my words wisely. To choose to build up rather than tear down. Thank you, Lord for the children you have blessed me to be around everyday...even if they are going crazy at times! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment